14 July 2012

'Tis the Season...

For weddings. A good number of my peers are actually younger than me and are just getting married or were my age and have been married for a few years now. (Mind you, I'm still an undergrad.) When I was in middle and high school, I wanted to be married by the time I was 22 or 23. After being in college for a bit, I see things in a much different light. I still hope and pray that one day, I'll get married.

NOTE: Before you keep reading, be aware that my views of marriage and relationships are from a Christian standpoint.

I'm confused as to the thinking and reasoning behind getting married so young or getting married so quickly. I want to get married someday and I want to go through the period of planning the wedding but, not right now. There are many things that I'd like to do before I get married. Things that I want to experience and achieve on my own. I know that everyone is different and each relationship is different but, if you believe that God has put you with the person you are to spend the rest of your life with, wouldn't it be even sweeter to slow down and enjoy single-hood? The way I see marriage is this. It's a covenant that's made before God and other people saying that two people are becoming one. You're committed to sharing your life with another person. I don't know about anyone else, but that makes me want to be REALLY sure that I'm ready for marriage and he's ready for marriage. 

From what people have told me, marriage is hard! It can be fun too, but it's not always going to be happy-go-lucky like the media want you to think. Like any long-term relationship, (dating, courting, friendship, siblings, etc.) you're going to have ups and downs that's going to be more than, "You left toothpaste in the sink... AGAIN!!" and "I love our little dates!"

I still wonder, "Why so young? Why not enjoy being single (unmarried) for a bit." What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment