20 September 2012

Do a little celebration dance!

Today is my 9 month lociversary!! On December 20, 2011, I went to a loctician and finally got my baby locs started. I found another blog that's geared towards African-American women who are transitioning to natural, natural going to locs and those who already have locs. I saw somewhere that there was a section where the readers had the opportunity to tell the real reason for going natural. So, that inspired me to to tell my own hair story.

For the longest time, I hated my hair. I didn't like the fact that as soon as water touched it, "POOF" tangled 'fro-like hair. I wanted my hair to be straight and long without it seeming "stiff". I was even convinced that that's what all guys wanted in a girl. Even while playing with my younger sister, I would take an old bath towel and wrap it around my head and put a hair tie on it and pretend my hair was long and straight. In elementary school, my mom would wash and braid our hair. When I was around middle school age, I finally went to the salon to get it relaxed. I couldn't wait until it was long and "flowy". Unfortunately my hair wasn't as long as I thought and it was thick. So I thought, maybe the trick to having "flowy" hair is for it to be thinner. (Definitely not something to look forward to!) Ever since then, I always tried to wear it straight and hoped that it would grow out to be longer. When I wasn't able to go get the "creamy crack" that burned like no other into my hair, I would have someone put it into braids, braid extensions, press and curl, flat twists, etc. Still, I hated my hair. I didn't like going through so much just to try and get it the way that I wanted it. And getting it cut short was WAAAYY out of the question. So when I graduated and went to college, I would try to flat iron it and go home occasionally to get it relaxed again. Interestingly enough, I had my hair cut into a style that closely resembled Rihanna's "Umbrella" look. (And I loved it... until it grew out and started to look lopsided.) During my first year in college, I noticed that there were more black people wearing locs. Mind you these were mainly guys and a couple girls here and there but I still noticed. I really liked the style but I was afraid that I would look too much like a guy. So I left that alone. During spring break of my Sophomore year in college, I went to the salon to get my hair relaxed (and burned) for the umpteenth time. The stylist noticed that I had a lot of scabbing and redness on my scalp and suggested I go to a dermatologist to get it checked out. So I went. Turns out that I had a bit of dermatitis and a bit of an infection. My sensitive scalp and hair were showing signs of what starts to happen to it after long-term use of harmful chemicals. There were even spots in my hair and along my hairline where hair was starting to thin out! So the doctor gave me an oil to wear at night and a medicated shampoo to use. In the meantime, I couldn't continue wearing the relaxer. (Cue the organ that goes "dun, dun, duuuuunnnnn") So I did what the doctor told me to do and I wore my hair in a "part relaxed, part natural" look. I would wash it, put a holding gel (that had alcohol in it mind you!) on it, pulled and pinned it back and went to class. I didn't know what else to do with it! After the school year let out, I finally went back to the salon for my BC (big chop). Surprisingly, it looked nice on me and for a while I loved it. I felt a little freer than what I felt before. I wore an afro and a TWA (teeny weeny afro) for about 2 years. Around year 2, I started getting tired of it, I wanted longer hair to play with and I really wanted to get locs. Realizing that my hair was too short and I was low on money to get it professionally started, I grew it out until I found a loctician in my area. When I finally went it to get it done, I felt so FREE!!! I loved it and I couldn't wait to see what it'll be like after a year or two. I was told that my hair loc'd well so my hair would do well with them. As time went on, I kept looking up information about maintaining locs and keeping them healthy and nice. (I still do!) I went through a time where I couldn't wash it yet (or else they all would come loose and I'd be up a creek!) It itched like MAD!! I did my best to make sure I had enough oil on my scalp and even sprayed water on it from time to time until I could get back to the loctician to make sure everything was going well. So when I finally got the money and the chance to go back, everything went smoothly. My locs were growing and all I needed to do was to give it a good maintenance about every 3-4 weeks. Talk about exciting!!

So at month 9, here I am! 3 months to go until my 1 year lociversary. I'm loving this journey and I'm at the point in my life where I LOVE the hair that God has given me. I was practically forced to go natural but I was glad that I got to that point in my life. I'm started to realize after my BC that God made me special and beautiful in His image. And that taking care this life and this body that He gave me means taking care of everything! Including my hair. Because I understand better that it's important to take care of this one body that He's given us, my relationship has grown stronger. Back in May, I even made the choice to go vegetarian. (Totally different story!) After all, how are you supposed to love others and spread the Word when you're sick, not feeling well and not honoring what the Creator of heaven, earth and you gave you?

That's my story. For all the natural sistahs out there, what's your story for going natural?






For the record: I don't believe that God tells us that we have to wear our hair natural, that we are not to eat meat. Those decisions are between you and God only. Salvation is not based on how you wear your hair, what clothes you wear, what you eat, etc. It's based on whether or not you believe that Jesus died on the cross for the sins of everyone, including yourself. Whether or not you believe that Jesus was the son of God and that He died and rose again 3 days later. And not only that but, whether or not you believe that one day, on a day that not even the angels know of, He will come back again for all of his followers. That God is the Creator of heaven and earth and that His original plan was for everything to be perfect. Then sin came into this world because we as humans screwed up and disobeyed Him. But, He forgave us and continued to love us unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment