20 December 2012

1 Year Lociversary

My locs are 1 year old today! Yay!! Seems like it went by rather quickly when I really think about it. When I was at camp and they're going through their "teenage" phase, it seemed kinda slow then. They were really fuzzy and did whatever they wanted to do. Here's what I learned about caring for them and myself:

1. Water is good for locs, it helps speed up the process. So, don't be afraid to get your locs wet.
2. My hair grew even when I didn't think it did.
3. There are cute styles out there for really short locs... you just have to find them and play around with your hair
4. I can't be afraid to run my fingers through my hair. I was worried that I might accidentally yank a loc out.
5. Patience, patience, patience
6. One product may work for a little bit then later on down the road, it may not. See #5.
7. What you eat affects your hair. Eating more fruits, veggies, whole grains and drinking more WATER helps keep locs and scalp healthy.
8. There are (and will be) days when I feel like my hair looks "blecgh". There were times I wanted to take it down and restart again because I compared my locs to others and thought that I did something wrong. A: that's what scarfs and learning different wrap techniques are for. B: keep pushing through  and STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS!!
9. Locs will NOT be the same as another person's. Each step and journey will look a little different from person to person.
10. Learn to have fun with them and enjoy all the steps from "baby locs" to "mature locs"

Check out my journey below......


baby locs


3 months


7 months

10 months

 11 months


11 months again


1 year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment