12 April 2015

V is for Vegan

Hello lovelies!

I'm back with a new post. My "Vegan Story". About 2 years and 11 months ago, I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I did it primarily for my health, the environment, and the animals as well. So as time passed, I continued to do more reading and research. My love for animals deepened and my awareness of what truly goes on in the meat and dairy industry heightened. I felt that being vegan was something I needed to do.

So what was holding me back? Fear in the form of excuses. I feared missing out on certain meals and getting a lot of negative social consequences from friends and loved ones. Holding on to those fears, I stayed as I was but decided not to consume or buy as much dairy and eggs. However, eating and buying them from time to time still induced some guilt.

Over time, things in my family's diet and my body started to change. The amount of eggs and dairy that my parents consumed decreased. My body was adamant in letting me know that I couldn't handle eggs and dairy. So, I started trying more dairy-and-egg-free foods and recipes. I enjoyed them just as much if not more than the original. And the knowing that no animals were harmed in the making of my meal made me happy. The more vegan foods I consumed, the less I missed and craved animal by-products.

As of August 2014, I am now vegan. I am vegan for the animals, the planet, my health, the people and to further show compassion and nonviolence. And that's my "Vegan Story".

Some of my favorite vegan-style foods include: mac and cheese, chocolate cake, oven roasted asparagus with nutritional yeast, IZZE drinks, chocolate, and spaghetti with veggie crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment