11 September 2015

3 year, 9 month old Locs

Hey all!

My locs are almost 4 years old. Most of them are sitting a little past my shoulders and others on my upper back.
I'm wearing a dress, btw.
I've been getting more compliments and questions about my hair regime from other women and men in passing. Which makes me wonder what will my hair look like in December 2015 or even December 2016.

Confession: I often dream about letting my locs grow really long, dying them red, being a stronger swimmer, buying a mermaid outfit, and pretending I'm the Little Mermaid at a beach. *hee hee*

When I wash my hair, I still use Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Shampoo and I wash it weekly. During a wash, I give my locs a really, really good rinse before I'm done. This is to make sure all of the shampoo or debris is rinsed out completely and to give my locs the moisture that it needs. When I'm done washing it, I use a plain t-shirt to absorb excess water and let them air dry.

During the week, I keep my scalp moisturized with a combination of castor oil, coconut oil and olive oil. It's important to note that I don't use a lot of this oil. Just enough to massage into my scalp and edges. When I style my hair, I spritz the roots and locs with water. Never style on dry locs.

Every 1-2 months, I do a pre-wash ACV rinse with apple cider vinegar, warm water, baking soda, sea salt and lemon juice. I massage the scalp and squeeze the locs in the rinse mixture for about 10 minutes. After that, I wash my hair normally, use conditioner and give them a final generous rinse.

When it's time to re-twist them, I only do it every 4-6 weeks and I only use water. No locking gel, no locking butters.

When I sleep or shower, I gather my locs together and make a messy bun on top of my head. Or, in the case of sleeping, I just gather and place them in a way so they're behind or lying above my head.

That's basically how I maintain my locs nowadays. One thing that I would like to do, is to semi-permanently dye my locs a different color, perhaps like a deep red or copper color. However, I want to use something that's natural and has no animal products in it. We'll see. ;)

Feel free to leave any questions or comments below and be sure to like the CBLV Blogger Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment