29 December 2015

Adventures in Urbana! - Days 2 and 3

Good afternoon readers! (or night... or morning depending on when you read this.) The evening of day two was amazing.

Last night, many of us (myself included) went back to our hotels on a spiritual high. With the combination of singing songs in different languages, learning about gospel music, learning about authority under Christ from Francis Chan, and why the Church needs to get involved with Black Lives Matter from a local activist... I'd be surprised if someone went home feeling nothing. The passion and electricity in the arena confirmed that God was present and that He had a message for every person there.

Today, I went to my seminars: a panel discussion on lessons from Black Lives Matter and "Hacking is Priestly Work". One of the themes that stuck with me was that everyone will not be called to "work on the front lines". Some of us will be the people to go where there's a need and to work with alongside others with skills different from ours. As an introverted Christian, I see a strong emphasis on being an outgoing, extroverted Christian who's eager to get out be on the front lines in missional work. When you feel as if you don't fit that mold, it can be pretty discouraging. To be honest, I'm still feeling a little confused and left-out but, I'm learning that my calling is somewhere in the background, using my gifts and skills to fill in a need that furthers God's kingdom.

So, as I wrap up this quick post, I'm thinking about the shooting deaths of two black individuals in Chicago last night but, looking forward to what else God has for us this evening.

I'm also grateful that today is a dry day weather-wise. Cold... but dry.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment