03 May 2016

Book Review Tuesdays - A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice #1)


Hey everyone! I've recently finished reading the first book in A Game of Thrones. (I'm late, I know.) I haven't seen the television show yet but now I can watch the first season. As always, no spoilers.


A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice #1) by George R. R. Martin

Short Summary: A long time ago in the land of Winterfell, the seasons have been thrown off kilter and winter will be coming soon. In the North, dark and mysterious forces threaten the Wall of the kingdom. Meanwhile, a fight for the Iron Throne begins and the Stark family is smack dab in the middle of it. This is a book of lords, ladies, kings, assassins, swords, secrets, etc.

Personal Review: I believe that this is my first time reading an adult high fantasy novel. And I wasn't disappointed. I will admit that when I started reading this, I had a hard time trying to stay focused. Mostly because the number of pages was intimidating and there were so many characters to get used to. So, I checked out an audiobook version to do a read-a-long/listen-only combo. The world building is fantastic. Sights, sounds, smells and some descriptions of taste were explained in detail. The end of each viewpoint (there are no number chapters) always left me wondering what was next. This book overall is laden with details. Details of the characters, their stories and their world. So much that had I not listened (and re-listened) to it, I might have missed some things. I do want to read the next book, A Clash of Kings, but after I've taken some more time to process it all.

Age Suitability: Adults - I can't stress that enough. It's got some gore, language, and *ahem* naughty bits in it.

My Rating: ★★★★☆ I didn't give it 5 stars because its lengthiness and because the number of characters were a little overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment