24 May 2016

[Comic] Book Review Tuesdays: Ms. Marvel #1-10


Image credit: Amazon.com
Ms. Marvel #1-10 by G. Willow Wilson (writer) and Adrian Alphona (artist)

Short Summary: Kamala Khan is a teenager from Jersey City. Like many teenage girls, she has things about herself that she wishes she could change. Well, she sort of gets her wish in an unexpected way. She's ends up with *Inhuman abilities.

Personal Review: It's refreshing to see a young female with a different culture taking heroine spotlight in the Marvel Comic Universe. Kamala and her family are Muslim so we learn a little bit about her culture and family living. Any phrases or terminology that readers might not understand are explained. I really enjoy the coloring and art. I believe that it really fits the personality of the main character and how she see's her world. Overall, this comic is fun and easy to follow. Kamala isn't perfect and neither are her abilities so it's cool to see how she navigates not only her new abilities but, the fact that the public see her as a new superhero as well. Even though I've only read the first 10 comics so far, I highly recommend this to all Marvel fans and {especially} tween/teen girls that are interested in reading superhero comics but don't know where to start. 

Note: If you noticed, I starred the word "Inhuman" above. While it's not necessary, I highly recommend reading the Inhuman comics or keeping up with Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to get an idea of the back story of the Inhumans and how Kamala got her abilities. I will also note that reading the Captain Marvel comics can help a reader understand a bit more of the backstory if they're interested.

Age Suitability: 12+

My Rating: ★★★★★ I can't wait to read the rest. I just have to find the next bunch at my local library...

No comments:

Post a Comment