26 April 2016

Book Review Tuesdays: Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Image created via fotor.com

Hello again! I would like to present to you: "Book Review Tuesdays".  On Tuesdays, I hope to post a {fairly} short review on a book or comic book that I've read. If I skip a Tuesday, please don't get mad. I may be reading or trying to find a good book to write a review on. Reminder: My personal review can also be seen on my Goodreads page. So, let's get on with my most recent read.

Image courtesy of Amazon.com 
Red Rising (#1) by Pierce Brown

Short Summary: In a futuristic society where castes are color-coded, Darrow is part of the lowest caste, Red. He and his fellow Reds do the physical labor that they believe needs to be done in order to make Mars a more livable place for their children. Darrow soon learns that's they've all been lied to. Not only does Mars already have large cities and beautiful parks, but the ruling class (the Golds) only see the Reds as slaves. Set on justice, Darrow becomes part of a plan to bring down the ruling class from the inside by infiltrating the Institute. The place where Golds prove their dominance and fight for power.

Personal Review: Interesting story as to how I picked up this book. I saw at work that a sci-fi book discussion group would be discussing this book so I sorta broke my no-library books ban and checked it out. I quickly became hooked so I went to Half-Price Books and bought it. Putting me back on track for my no-library books ban. This book has a "Hunger Games meets Ender's Game" feel to it but it's in a league of it's own. The pacing of this book is fairly quick. Not too slow to bore you and so fast that details are lost on the reader. I found it cool that there are some bits of Roman society and mythology undertones weaved into the story. Character-wise, they are all flawed - no clear-cut heroes of villains. Being that they are all flawed, I see that there's the potential to watch the characters grow as the trilogy goes on. To me, that's a huge plus. I would say that I wish there was a little bit more about Eo's life and family but, since there are two other books after this, I can only hope that more is revealed later. I do wish that there was a bit more of an explanation of the differences in speech and accents between the different color castes. Other than that, this book is definitely a book I don't regret buying and it's something that I wouldn't mind re-reading later.

Age Suitability: Older YA - Adult

My Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment