20 December 2016

Lociversary - Year 5

5 years ago today, I started my loc journey. When I walked out of the salon that day, I felt the cold winter air on my scalp after wearing it in an afro for about a year or so. I could've put my hood up but I was happy with my new style and I wanted to show it off. 

I wore earrings a lot when my hair was in an afro

Okay, sure it was shorter than what I pictured BUT I loved it and I couldn't wait until it got longer. The loctician predicted that my hair would lock up in less than 12 months because my hair pattern was so tight and curly. When I had my hair in an afro, I would have to pick it out numerous times during the day because it would kink up and well... start locking up on it's own. It didn't matter what I put in it or what kind of pick I used. By the end of the day, my 'fro looked like I woke up that morning and didn't bother to touch it at all.


Day 1 of my loc journey - started with a two-strand twist

The loctician was right. It did lock up before I reached the one year mark. But at that point, it was still poofy and locs stuck up and out at weird angles. Not to mention that it was still shorter than what I had hoped. Given my (still) short hair and my build I felt like I looked too masculine. So I continued to wear earrings and tried to have a little bit more fun with my outfits. For the next 1 1/2-2 years-ish I was on a journey of building self-confidence and loving my hair exactly as it was.



Today at year 5, I'm still amazed at how long it's become. How long do I want it to grow? *shrugs* Dunno. I may decide to let it stop at my lower back and I may decide to let it grow out longer than that. Either way, for the first time in my life, I'm enjoying my long hair. So many styles to try, so little time. ;)

That's not a broken loc. I palm rolled some hair that just wouldn't merge into other nearby locs.
No make up club! *woot woot*

No comments:

Post a Comment