03 April 2016

Slump

I have a confession...

For the past few weeks, I've been in a reading slump. 

It's not that I don't have anything to read, it's just that I haven't felt like reading. If I have read anything, it's been comic books. Even then, I end up putting it down to do something, causing me to finish the comic book in a couple days instead of a couple hours. On a {somewhat} related note, I'm not going to check out anymore books (novels) from the library until I finish the novel that I already have checked out and until I tackle the TBR books that I already own. I haven't determined a number quite yet but, I'm succeeding in my challenge so far.

I'm also slightly ashamed to admit that at the same time, I've been in a writing slump. Again, it's not that I don't have a bunch sidelined projects or writing prompts to work on. My mind has been elsewhere and sitting down to write something has proved to be more challenging than me going to the gym after work. Seriously. It's a discipline thing.

Image credit: adamr via FreeDigitalPhoto

Ugh! What is wrong with me?? I'm a book-nerd that loves to write and wants to be a well-known and published author someday! I'm not supposed to struggle with this. (Haha, yeah right.) It's not like I don't have the time to read or write because I do. Something in my routine and mindset needs to change. Like yesterday.

Whatever it is, I just have to do it. For some reason, when it comes to executing life changes, I can't plan out everything that I need to do and when it needs to be done. When I plan all of the steps in advance, it either
1. Never gets done because I lose excitement or
2. Doesn't go as expected, leaving me back at square one.

So in regards to reading, I just need to make a more conscious effort to pick up my current book(s) and read when I can. Simple. With writing, there needs to be some planning but, still I need to make a conscious effort to write something every day. No "thinking about writing". Just writing. When it comes to things that require some sort of planning, I may need to focus on planning one step at a time rather than multiple steps.

I've read a few articles that have tips and advice on writing, so I've come up with a few ideas that I may put into practice for my own projects and this blog. All I'll say about them is...

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment