16 June 2016

Loc'd Up Thursdays: Locs and Summer


Hey all! I know it's been a while. It's the middle of June and warm weather is here to stay. Thank goodness!

My maintenance for my locs changes a bit in the summer. Instead of using a mixture of coconut, olive and castor oil, I stick to using coconut oil. It's a much lighter oil that stays a liquid at room temp. I usually apply it every couple of days instead of every other day.

You know what's also good for locs? WATER! Drinking it and spritzing it on your locs when you wake up in the morning. Ahhh, moisture! Whether the weather is cool, hot, humid, rainy or windy, your body needs water.

Might I suggest the app "Plant Nanny" if you need reminders...

Now that my hair is longer, I have more occasions where I need to get my hair off of my neck and face. I've love my locs but they sure know how to make me hot. (Also, when it's humid and my hair brushes up against my neck and shoulders I'm more likely to think that some giant bug is crawling on me.)

So, to remedy that, I do my version of messy bun. It's my go to do when I'm chilling at home, showering or sleeping. Nothing is ever tight. It's always very loose and I make sure that the bun is on top and not "slouching" so that it pulls on the locs in the front.

I think my profile looks funny
As far as washing, I still stick to washing my hair once a week and I still use Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Shampoo. I still do a deep clean ACV rinse every 1-2 months when I'm ready to retwist them, followed with a wash and conditioner. 

To this day I still retwist with water and it works for me. Not only is there less gunk to wash out later, but I save money by not having to go out and buy loc gel. I will say that I have used it a couple of times to retwist locs in the back of my hair (where the hair is much softer and the curl pattern is looser) that have come undone a day or two after I retwisted my locs . I don't do this often, only when water has proven not to work.

And that's it for now. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them in the comment box below or on my Facebook page. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment