17 June 2016

Veg Talk Fridays: Ice Cream!


I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Vegans are screaming because non-dairy ice creams have finally gotten their foot in the door and we're really excited.

(We also scream because of the horrors that dairy cows go through but, let's stay positive today.)

All of my life I've loved ice cream. In my house, ice cream was a common dessert that we would buy... even in Ohio's winter. One of the reasons why going vegan took me so long was because I was afraid that I would have to say goodbye to ice cream for good.

So I did my research and visited different stores and over past 5 years, I've found some equally satisfying brands and flavors.

If you're craving that cold, sweet, creamy goodness without the cruelty or messed up stomach. Take a look at these brands.


1. Ben and Jerry's Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
So a few months ago, there was a petition from Change.org circling around the internet. People wanted Ben and Jerry's to make some ice cream flavors that were vegan. Well, they must've heard us loud and clear because the company just came out with non-dairy flavors made from Almond milk this spring. I really enjoy the Coffee Caramel Fudge and Chocolate Fudge Brownie the most. P.B. & Cookies is good. I've heard that the Chunk Monkey is a little disappointing so I haven't tasted it yet. This brand has a creamy taste and isn't really rock hard after taking it out from the freezer. Note: Not all stores have the non-dairy version so be sure to check the website (in the image credits) to see where you can find the Non-Dairy version.
Image courtesy of Ben and Jerry's

2. So Delicious Coconut Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
This was the first vegan ice cream that I tried. It was okay. I really liked the fact that it was cookie dough. It did have a coconut after taste, wasn't as creamy as I had hoped and I had to let it sit out before scooping it. When I first tasted it, it was more like ice milk. For those reasons, their coconut milk ice cream is my least favorite.
Image courtesy of So Delicious

3. So Delicious Cashew Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
Cashew milk ice cream! My favorite, hands down! 😍 It's smooth, it's creamy, it has a ton of flavors. Slight downside is that I still have to let it sit out for a bit before scooping. 
Image courtesy of So Delicious

4. So Delicious Almond Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
So, I'm not remembering if I tried this particular line before. If for some reason you can't find Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy, you might want to try this if you can find it.
Image courtesy of So Delicious


5. So Delicious Soy Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
This was also a line that I tried a while ago. From what I remember, it was good. As far as the So Delicious Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert brand goes, this would be a notch down from the cashew milk in my book.
Image courtesy of So Delicious

6. Trader Joe's Soy Creamy Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
I just bought this yesterday and it's awesome! My mom (who is not vegan) likes it too. It's as creamy as the So Delicious cashew milk and Ben and Jerry's brands but it's much easier to scoop. Unfortunately the I only saw Vanilla and another brand with cherries (not my forte). This would be really good for anyone that wants plain vegan vanilla ice cream to add to another dessert or to play up with toppings. I'm thinking about trying to make my own marshmallow fluff with Trader Joe's new marshmallows.

7. Almond Dream Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
Another brand that I tried a couple years ago. Again, it was okay. This particular brand wasn't as creamy or stay as soft as I wanted it to but it's not like the coconut milk (mentioned above) and it's one that I would buy again if I didn't find the other brands that I like.
Image courtesy of Dream Plant Based
Also, the pictures that are shown above are the flavors that I've tried {or think I've tried.} Go to the website to see what other flavors there are.

So if you're thinking about going vegan, eating more plant based foods or cutting out dairy, this is another thing you don't have to worry about missing.

What other non-dairy frozen desserts (vegan ice cream) brands have you tried? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment