01 June 2016

Stress Buster Wednesdays - Why you should "unplug" from your device



On Monday, I talked about my trip to the North Carolina mountains for a Christian retreat. I've been on retreats before in the mountains Pennsylvania and beaches of Florida. I had access to cell service and wifi in both places. (Retreats were also held at camps.) I've even been to a camp where cell service was spotty but there was {mediocre} wifi for employees.

This time was different.

This camp, albeit absolutely gorgeous, had no cell service and no wifi for non-staff members. For many, this would be a deal breaker and I agree with them. I can justify having no wifi but still having cell service because I've gone through it before. But not have reliable cell service for up to an hour's drive outside the camp is a no-no in my book.

Someone might ask, "Oh what's the worst that could happen." I'm a writer and a worrier. I can come up with a million things that could go wrong and I'd rather not test those theories!

My sister wasn't a fan of my complaining. So I opted my mouth shut about the topic. I still complained to God though. (Wouldn't be surprised if He was thinking, "Oh, my daughter. Don't you trust me? *wink*" But that's a different story.)

My week was busy and checking my phone for emails, checking Facebook or playing games was no where on my radar. I quickly got used to only checking my phone for the time and not having to charge it so often. I also kind of enjoyed not feeling compelled to check Facebook and Instagram first thing in the morning.

I also remembered that there was a time a few years ago (still as a twenty-something) where I didn't have a working cell phone or plan. Of course I wanted and needed one but money was a bit of an issue.

There were many times that I lamented not having something but there were just as many times that I liked going out with my family, going out for a walk or run and not having a device attached to my hand.

I had to work on having trusting that no matter what, God would watch over and take care of me and my family. I got into the habit of saying a small prayer asking for safety and protection for my loved ones and any person they might come in contact with.

To this day, I still do that. I pray a short prayer of safety and protection for my loved ones not because I'm paranoid but because a small act of giving something to God is better for my relationship with Jesus and helps decrease my stress levels.

Image courtesy of "stockimages" at Freedigitalphotos.net
Okay, I'm not saying to ditch your smartphones and tablets completely. These things (despite what some may say) can be beneficial in the right ways and situations.

"Unplugging" can be a simple as leaving your phone or tablet on silent in another room and spending an hour or two doing something that doesn't require anything tech or internet connection.

After you get past the "This sucks! I need my device to do..." phase, you'll start to enjoy not having to check every notification that comes your way. You may learn things new things about yourself that no piece of technology can accurately do and you'll definitely start to feel more chill.

Try it. "Unplug" from your device(s) every once in a while and go do something different. Pray. Go for a walk. Read the Bible. Go to your library. Meditate. Sleep. Go the park. Write. Don't be afraid to look away from your device to see what you're missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment