03 August 2016

Book Review - Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

I'm back with another book review. This time the genre is Afrofuturism. What is Afrofuturism by the way? It's the combination of science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction and Afrocentricity. Some notable authors include: Nnedi Okorafor, Octavia Butler, Nalo Hopkin, N.K Jemisin, Ytasha Womack, etc.


Binti (Binti #1) by Nnedi Okorafor

Short Summary: Binti is part of the Himba people and she's the first to be offered a place at the finest University in the galaxy. However, accepting the offer means leaving her family and being around people who don't share or respect her ways and customs.

Personal Review: I ended up listening to this as an mp3 audiobook because I wanted something other than podcasts to listen to during the day. This (and technically another book) is my first introduction to Black Sci-fi/Fantasy books and so far, I'm loving it! Listening to this made me feel like I was in the ship with Binti and experiencing everything that went down. One of this characteristics I like about Binti is that she's resilient and quick-thinking. When I first added this book to my To-Read list, I didn't realize that it was a novella and I was hoping that it would be longer. However, the second part to this series comes out in January 2017 according to Goodreads. Given that, this book is definitely something I'll want to re-read soon.

Age Suitability: YA - Adults

Recommend?: All sci-fi fans and especially black people

Rating: ★★★★☆ 

No comments:

Post a Comment